Member Update #17 - Covid-19 - A message from Local 500 President Gord Delbridge
April 03, 2021 at 12:39 PM
I want to begin by thanking our members for all you are doing to help keep vital services available to our community. We know these are challenging times and we appreciate your continued hard work and dedication.
Since our last update, more changes have taken place at our workplaces as the province continues to ease restrictions and reopen more services. At the City of Winnipeg, some facilities have reopened and services have resumed or are planning to resume, including:
- Three arenas (Eric Coy, Century, Terry Sawchuk and River East) have re-opened for casual ice rentals and public skating;
- Library Services is now allowing customers to enter library branches for pick up and returns, and to register or update their memberships;
- Indoor pools reopened to the public on March 29 and swimming lessons will resume beginning May 9;
- Members working in Recreation Services have been recalled to support spring leisure guide programs and activities;
- Seasonal recall in Public Works is underway to commence spring clean-up operations;
- The city’s municipal golf courses are now open and members have been recalled to work.
Whether your workplace is re-opening now, or has been open throughout the pandemic, it’s important to follow all workplace health and safety guidelines and public health advice. Please refer to CUPE’s general guidance and leading health and safety practices while we continue to work during a pandemic by visiting: https://cupe.ca/health-and-safety-practices-while-working-during-pandemic-all-sectors
Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for COVID-19 Leave Extended to June 1
Local 500 and the City of Winnipeg have agreed to extend the application and terms of the above MOU until June 1, 2021.
This MOU allows members to use up to a maximum of 10 days accumulated sick leave credits for COVID related leave including self-isolation and quarantine requirements, vulnerable medical conditions, or caring for a dependent family member.
CUPE and the City have also agreed that in extenuating circumstances and where the City is asking the employee to leave the workplace for COVID reasons, the parties may discuss alternatives to the use of COVID Leave or other compensating credits.
A copy of the MOU can be found here
If you have any questions about the MOU, please contact your unit president or the Local 500 office at 204-942-1001 or email: email@example.com.
The Local will continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation closely and update you on any new developments that may impact your workplace.
As always, your feedback is important to us. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have.
In closing, I would like to wish everyone a Happy Easter. To all our Local 500 members working on Easter Sunday, and on the holiday Monday, thank you for your commitment to our community and keeping our services strong!
Stay safe and please look out for each other.