About Local 500
The Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), Local 500 represents over 5,000 employees working at the City of Winnipeg, Riverview Health Centre, Assiniboine Park Conservancy, Canlan Ice Sports, Commissionaires (RCMP "D" Division), Emterra Environmental, Gateway Recreation Centre, Historical Museum of St. James Assiniboia, Kirkfield-Westwood Community Centre, Rural Municipality of East St. Paul, St. Boniface Museum, Southdale Community Club, Varsity View Community Centre, Winnipeg Convention Centre, Winnipeg Humane Society, and Winnipeg Regional Health Authority. Every member of Local 500 belongs to a unit or affiliate.
Local 500 has existed in various forms for over 90 years. In the early 1970’s we were one local and one collective agreement. Today, we collectively bargain and administer sixteen collective agreements and are about 5,000 members strong. Please feel free to get involved, or just keep informed with what the Local is doing.
Some of the key services Local 500 provides to its members are:
- Contract negotiations with employers for fair wages, benefits and working conditions;
- Ensures that all members work in a safe and healthy workplace;
- Support members against unfair treatment, discrimination, disrespect and harassment;
- Ensures that all provisions of the Collective Agreement are upheld by employers Represents members' interests to employers, governments and in the community;
- Provides three specialized staff members who cover communications, steward training, reclassifications, workers compensation and pensions and benefits.
Local 500 offers many additional services to its members. Some of these include:
- Education scholarship and bursaries to members and their families;
- Steward Orientation and Introduction to Stewardarding course for shop stewards and activists;
- Sports and social events
If you need any assistance or have any questions regarding our Local or your contract, we invite you to call us at (204)942-1001, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop by our office at the Union Centre - Room 702, 275 Broadway. Office Hours Monday to Friday 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM